When it comes to Christmas dresses, I’ve found the choices to be rather slim – or brief, to be exact. Last year I needed something festive to wear to a children’s Christmas Party. The only festive outfits I could find were of the skimpy/after hours/in-private variety. Hardly appropriate! (“Mummy, why can I see Mrs Claus’ undies?”) SO, I found a second hand red dress, pictured on the left, and transformed it into the dress on the right:
It even lights up!
This is how I did it:
1. Stitched white fur trim to the collar, pockets and hemline.
2. Replaced the buttons with gold bells
3. Unpicked an opening in the hem and threaded plastic garden reticulation hose all the way around, inside the hem.
4. Decorated a pair of red shoes with bells and plastic holly.
5. Fortunately the dress had an extra lining skirt underneath. To this I safety pinned 5 novelty flashing Christmas necklaces.
And there you have it; a Christmas Dress that flashes in a child friendly/G-Rated kinda way…
More of my Christmas Crafts: